Try This High-Protein Breakfast to Curb Food Cravings
Maybe you have already heard that enjoying a high-protein breakfast helps control food cravings throughout the day. It improves appetite control and even reduces high-sugar and high-fat snacking during the evening.
Research involving adolescent women revealed that a breakfast containing a substantial amount of protein increases the sensation of fullness and alters brain activity in areas related to reward-driven eating behavior.
“These data suggest that eating a protein-rich breakfast is one potential strategy to prevent overeating and improve diet quality by replacing unhealthy snacks with high quality breakfast foods,” said researcher Heather Leidy.
This is excellent news for people wanting to curb food cravings and manage binge eating. Here is a high-protein breakfast recipe you may want to try.
Spinach and Egg Breakfast Wrap with Avocado and Pepper Jack Cheese (22g protein)
- ~ Nonstick cooking spray
- ~ 5 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- ~ 4 eggs
- ~ 4 egg whites
- ~ 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ~ 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ~ 4 ounces shtredded pepper jack cheese
- ~ 1 avocado, sliced
- ~ 4 whole-wheat tortillas
- ~ Hot sauce (optional)
- Coat a skillet with nonstick spray, put over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach and stir it around until it is wilted (about 2 minutes).
- In a small bowel, whisk together the eggs and egg whites. Add the eggs to the skillet and stir until cooked through (about 3-4 minutes); season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/4 of the egg-spinach mixture onto the center of each tortilla, and sprinkle with one ounce of cheese.
- Top each with 4 avocado slices and fold the tortillas burrito-style. Slice in half and serve.