Clothes That Fit Well Are Your Body’s Ideal
Looking good as we go about our business in the world has more to do with wearing clothes that fit us well than having an ideal body.
If our clothes are sized correctly and are items we feel good about wearing, they will support our confidence and self-esteem.
Choosing Clothes That Fit: 8 Tips
When shopping, we need to keep in mind that buying pieces to fit and flatter our body type is the best way to hide the aspects of our figure we think are less than ideal. Here are a few tips for choosing clothes that fit.
- When you try on clothing, take two or three sizes of the same item into the change room and try each size on. This is the only way to determine which size looks best on you. It means ignoring the size number on the clothing tag and choosing what drapes nicely over your angles and curves.
- If you are shopping online, refer to that site's size guide and purchase according to your measurements. Some online shoppers purchase two sizes and keep the one that fits best, returning the other for a refund.
- If you find an item you like that fits well in some areas but not in others, consider purchasing the larger size and having it professionally altered (unless you are a good seamstress). For instance, a size 12 skirt or pair of trousers might be too tight around the hips but fit well through the waist. You can buy the 14 and have the waist taken in.
- After purchasing a piece of clothing, you always have the option of cutting off the item’s size tag if the number bothers you.
- If you dislike how a piece of clothing makes you feel, it either doesn’t fit right or is not to your taste and should not be in your closet.
- Realize that competing stores and manufacturers size their clothing differently, and that an item's rack size is just a number. If something fits you well, the number on the tag is irrelevant.
- If you have a friend with a good eye for fit and fashion, consider asking him or her to shop with you.
- It is important to have undergarments that fit properly and are comfortable. Ladies, if you have never been measured and fitted for a bra by an expert, consider doing so.