Healthy Eating Habits: Super-Easy Soups
A hearty homemade soup can fill the house with a comforting aroma and fill the tummy with flavorful nutrients.
Although some soups are a bit time-consuming to put together, others are amazingly easy. Here are some soup recipes that take five to 20 minutes to put together, heat, and sit down to eat.
Eight Super-Easy Soups
- Simmer some frozen grilled chicken strips in low-sodium chicken broth for about ten minutes. Add frozen veggies, some grated ginger, and a little sesame oil—continue simmering until the vegetables are ready.
- Heat some prepared broth. Add packaged coleslaw or broccoli slaw mix and a can of diced tomatoes. Simmer until veggies soften.
- Coat two cups of shredded cooked chicken breast with a tablespoon of low-sodium taco seasoning. Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and brown the chicken for a couple minutes; add 2 (14 oz) cans of low-sodium chicken broth. In a small bowl, mash one can of white beans until only a few beans remain whole. Add the beans and 1/2 cup green salsa to the broth, stirring well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes or until slightly thick. Top with a glop of sour cream if you wish.
- Heat canned or boxed tomato soup and add some pre-washed baby spinach or chopped leafy greens.
- Heat prepared vegetable soup and add a can of rinsed, drained legumes such as kidney beans or chick peas to increase the soup's nutrient value.
- Cube a washed potato, and an onion. Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pot. Add the potato and onion to the melted butter and cook the veggies through (until softened); pepper to taste. Then, add a can or box of chicken soup—heat and serve.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of whole grain pasta, drain, and add it to your favorite prepared vegetable soup.
- Put 1 cup of frozen, thawed baby gold and white corn into a Dutch oven with
1 1/2 cups low or nonfat milk; bring to a boil on medium heat. In a microwave safe bowl cover and heat: 4 seeded and chopped green chiles, one cup pre-chopped refrigerated onion, and a tablespoon of water on HIGH for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, put 2 cups frozen, thawed baby gold and white corn, and 1/2 cup milk in a blender - process until smooth - and add to the Dutch oven mixture. Stir in chiles and onion; salt to taste. Cook six minutes over medium heat. Top each serving with a sprinkle of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.