TLC for Self and Skin: Easy DIY Body Oil Blend
Our protective skin is the body’s largest organ, and its health affects our overall well-being and comfort level.
Many factors affect the condition of our skin, including the foods we eat – or do not eat. For instance, a diet very low in fat can cause dry, tight, itchy skin, as can excessive alcohol or caffeine intake. Some medications contribute to skin dehydration as well.
Establishing healthy eating habits can be a lengthy process. While working on setting or realizing that goal, we can treat ourselves with TLC by hydrating and soothing our skin with rejuvenating body oils.
It is fun, easy, and cost-effective to create homemade mixtures, such as Soothe-Me-Sesame, a skin-enriching blend of carrot seed, sesame, avocado, and vitamin E oils.
Soothe-Me-Sesame Body Oil: Recipe
Sesame and vitamin E oils are grounding, calming, warming, and nourishing body care elements. Avocado oil is loaded with skin-building minerals, protein, vitamins, and lecithin. Mature or damaged skin is revitalized by carrot seed essential oil.
You will need:
- Carrot seed essential oil, 50 drops
- 3/4 cup unrefined sesame base oil
- 1/4 cup unrefined avocado base oil
- 1,000 IU vitamin E oil
- Glass bottle, or plastic squeeze bottle
Preparing the oil:
- Put the carrot seed oil into the storage bottle, drop by drop.
- Add the sesame and avocado base oils, and the vitamin E oil.
- Screw on the container cap and vigorously shake for two minutes, blending the oils.
- Label the bottle and put it in a dark place—between 60 and 80 degrees F—for 24 hours. This allows the oils to synergize.
- Store at room temperature away from light and heat; use within one year.
Applying Body Oil
Shake the bottle well before using. After bathing or showering, while your skin is still damp, massage the Soothe-Me-Sesame oil into your skin—head to toe.
- Shake the bottle well before using.
- Before showering or bathing, use a bristle body brush or gentle loofah sponge to exfoliate your entire body.
- Massage a generous amount of the body oil into your skin, massaging toward your heart area.
- Slip on an old bathrobe and allow the oil to sink in, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Get in the shower or tub to rinse off (use soap only to cleanse underarms and intimate areas). The hot water and steam will open your pores and allow the oil to penetrate deeply into the skin.
- Pat yourself dry. If you have extremely dry skin, apply a natural body lotion.
Source: Tourles, Stephanie, Hands on Healing Remedies, Storey Publishing, 2012.