Skip to Content

My friend is suffering from Anorexia and has been for several years. It has gotten to the point where I am planning an intervention soon. Is there a local therapist that could assist with this intervention? I am seriously concerned & need help.


I am in the Des Moines, IA

I am in the Des Moines, IA area. Please let me know how I can get professional help with this intervention. Thank you.

Hi: Your friend is fortunate


Your friend is fortunate in that she has a someone who cares about her wellbeing, and is there to support and encourage her through this difficult time.

Eating disorders are especially challenging to treat, as the person suffering may not recognize the severity of his or her problem, and will therefore see no reason to seek treatment. Other anorexics are aware that they are in trouble, but may avoid treatment for a number of reasons icluding a desire to hold on to their addictive patterns of behavior and a fear of change.

In the State of Iowa, a person who is considered to be in grave physical danger without immediate medical intervention, can be involuntarily admitted to a medical facility in order to treat urgent life threatening health complications and restore weight.

However, hospitals offer limited opportunities for the intensive therapy which is required in order for a person to truly recover from their eating disorder.

There are a number of excellent therapists who are specialists in the treatment of eating disorders. You may be able to find someone willing to help your friend by clicking on "Find a Treatment Facility Near You" underneath this response, and selecting "Iowa" from the menu. There are treatment facilities listed in the Des Moines area as well as in Iowa in general.

Being there for your friend who is struggling with anorexia can be emotionally exhausting, so don't forget to take the time to look after yourself as well. Take care.